twitter




Saturday, October 31, 2009

Knee popping with some pain?

Ok, I started working out 3 wks ago, after 4 years of nothing. I know my strength is nowhere close to where it used tobe, but I'm doing this for the health side/weight gain from this. I'm pushing fairly heavy (for weak lil me) weights on my legs to help increase my quads and calves. Almost 3 weeks ago I was on the leg press pushing 160 (3 sets of 12) when on the last set my knee popped with some very minor pain. I've been very careful to rest my legs after a workout, so I waited 5 days and did my legs again on the 6th day. I lowered the weights to 115lbs and my knee still popped and caused minor pain, this time it made it hard to use for "everday use". Is there a way to work my quads without straining my knee? It's uncomfortable to walk up and down stairs, squat or bend it in any way, it's ONLY my left knee (no previous injury in either leg/knee). Leg extensions were uncomfortable today and they were only at 70lbs. Thanx for any info/advice. 28yr/o female,5'9",108lbs (skinny, I know!)
Answer:
To start, when you do the leg press, try to find a machine that will allow you to lie as flat as possible. When you place your feet on the platform make sure your knees are in line with your ankles. This will probably need to place your feet pretty high up on the platform. When you push to straighten your knees, try to drive the weight through your heels more than your toes, and don't straighten all the way. Leave a slight bend in your knees at the top, and on the way down again push your weight through your heels. Other exercises you can do are lunges (making sure your knee stays over your ankle), leg curls, inner/outer thigh machine. Basically you want to strengthen all your legs muscles to help support your knees. You should avoid the leg extension as that places a lot of stress on your knees. In the immediate future you should place an ice bag directly on your left knee after working out for 15 mins
I'm not sure of the body mechanics behind it but ...I had the same problem a little while ago and talked to my chiropractor. She told me to take a supplement called sharks cartilage. So far so good!
4 of the bursae of the knee are in front, 4 on side, and 5 are in front. the bursae is small sac full of a fluid that acts as a cushion against damage or trauma. The largest is between the knee cap and the skin. There is a condition called "housemaid's knee" which is caused by inflammation of this large bursa. The knee is relatively unprotected by surrounding muscles and is often injured by blows, sudden stops and turns, especially associated with sports. Ligament tears in the knee joint are extremely common in athletes and provide a variety of signs and symptoms. Swelling with fluid, tenderness, and instability of the knee joint such as you are feeling when walking up or down stairs. Test may show varying degrees of tearing in the ligaments and even a slight displacement. These are not visible with x-rays, you will probably need an MRI. Completely painless, i know, I had so darn many of them. Mild tears do not require any treatment and usually heal with time. Which means, you have to stop your exercise for a while. The best way to know what's going on is to see an orthopedic Dr. who will order these test. meanwhile, rest your knee.
Hi there,
I am an RRT that runs a pulmonary rehab program. I am also a keen exerciser (5'8, 115lbs. - so I know where you are coming from!).
I am just cautioning to be very careful with that kind of weight on the leg press. Be careful to ensure that your feet are at a height where when you press, your knees don't extend past your feet...that is, you shoud be able to see your feet beyond your knees. If you put your feet too low on the leg press, you risk knee damage.
With your size, you are better off using lower weight and more repititions anyway. If the pain persists, you should really see your doctor. You don't want to end up with permanent damage.
Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net