twitter




Saturday, October 31, 2009

Jerkiness of muscles during sleep?

I'm 16 years old and often when I'm sleeping either my whole body or just something specific like my arm or leg while jerk, waking me up. It mostly happens when I'm taking a nap (during school) the whole classroom will be quiet and I will be dead asleep and then, in one instance, my arm jerked making it fly in the air and it woke me up immediatley. Does anybody know what's causing this and what can be done to help me?
Answer:
You don't have restless leg syndrome - That is a fake disease. They are right that it is related to stress though. I get that way every once and a while. I get rid of it by working out a lot harder than I normally do for a few days which gets rid of the stress and tires my muscles out. If you don't work out, try getting some exercise - I guarantee it will help you. Also - Don't sleep during school. Make sure you get a good nights sleep.
Look into Restless Leg Syndrome. --Ok, in addition, RLS isn't a fake condition. I have it, and am treated for it. I get a lot of aches in my legs when I am at rest. I also get numbness in my arms and legs randomly. It happens most often when I sleep. Before treatment, I would jerk, somewhat violently, throughout the night. It would wake me and I would have numbness so bad I couldn't move. So, it effected my sleep, and also work. my legs or arms would go numb at work, which was very hazardous when standing on a ladder to do my job.
Its called fasciculations and caused by stress, worry, emotions and many other reasons, common to growing up. All you need is plenty of rest, especially good long sleep every night. Speak to your parents who can take you to a GP for sleep test, if needed.
I had this problem as well. I still have it once in a while and was told that it often comes from a dream that we do not remember. Sometimes we have what's known as 'restless leg syndrome.' Check with the doctor for some professional advice. Good Luck!
http://www.medicalassociation.com... - for a physical exam.,
I can definately relate! Happens if I am napping or sleeping at night and happens with my limbs and weirdest of all is it will happen with my stomach and just double me over. It doesn't hurt but it does disrupt my sleep. I am 45 and have been having this problem for over a year. My doctor, a neurologist, has put me on a mild seizure medication and requip. They have "toned down" the jerking but it hasn't gone away. Have your parents take you to the doctor, your GP may be able to help, but I would suggest a neuro. Good luck and hope this helps. Sheeba

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net