twitter




Sunday, October 25, 2009

I've been sentenced to crutches and a cast on my ankle for two weeks?

How can i stop the tops of the crutches from hurting my arms??
Answer:
Aww!I completely feel your pain!I have a badly sprained ankle,and I've been on crutches for the past 2 and a half weeks,and I have on of those big boots too!Try wrapping an ACE bandage around the top of your crutches,and that will make it much more comfortable,and it's cheap and easy.Make sure though that you aren't supporting yourself on your crutches on your armpits,because if you are it can cause major nerve damage!Wrapping the handles w/ACE bandages also makes it easier on your hands (and it's tough on your hands because they support all of your weight)!Cycling gloves also work.Also,make sure to take frequent breaks,because crutching around,especially if you're not in great shape is really hard!...And if you want to look at something good,by the end of this you'll have a lot more upper body strength!Hang in there,I know that it's tough,but it's not as bad as it may seem.
Wrap a washcloth or hand towel around it and tape it on to provide padding, You should not be having the top pressing on your underarms when you are using the crutches though. If you are not sure if you are using them properly go back to the hospital and have them show you how to use them properly.
Adjust them so they're shorter. And make sure you're using your arms to hold yourself up and not your armpits.
PUT SOMETHING ON THEM TO ADD MORE CUSHION
Can you wrap some soft fabric around them to make them more comfortable? Also, make sure they're the right size, if they're too long or too short for you they will be uncomfortable.
Padding. Also, shorten your crutches a little bit so they aren't straight in your armpits, they should fit a little below.Hate to say this, but my arms were all kinds of red and sore after crutches. You'll get used to them eventually and your "good" hip will be really strong from walking on crutches.
You don't want to put the pads in your armpits. You need to wrap something around the hand grips to make them softer and walk on the crutches with your arms straight. Don't put your weight on the crutches in the armpit area---that hurts like heck. Make sure they are adjusted for the correct height. That will make them more comfortable, too.
i wish i had your problem - i was on crutches and have all my left leg in cast for 4 months. just a week ago i got shorter cast and started walking with a cane.
use wash cloths or anything soft and wrap them around the top...that will help a lot...trust me I know ..I was terrible with my crutches...until I did that.Good luck
what a bummer, crutches are, i too, have been on them 6 weeks, i tried wrapping th heads with towels, sheepskin, etc, nothing helped for long, it is the pressure you have to put there with your arm pits that causes the discomfort, don't do what i did, i put them in the corner and just used them when i left the house, and hopped everywhere inside..(also put some weight on my injured limb too) so far no damage, but everyone tells me i am delaying my recovery..oh well..

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net