twitter




Sunday, October 25, 2009

Ive been taking a narcotic pain reliever containing tylenol for about 6 months for cronic back pain?

and i'm wondering if the tylenol is really that much of a threat to my kidneys and liver..ty
Answer:
Not only is the tylenol potentially harmful to the kidneys and liver, but so are most narcotics. If your back pain is intolerable without meds, discuss your concerns with your dr., and ask him/her for something different for the pain.Darvocet is one of the easiest on the kidneys. Docs prescribed it to my dad when he was on dialysis, but they wouldn't give him anything stronger, due to the kidney failure.
It depends on the milligrams of tylenol you injest daily. You can safely take up to 2000mg daily without ill effects.
If you're worried about the effects of the APAP on your liver, then you can take a supplement called Milk Thistle. Another good one is NAC (I don't remember chemical name right now). It's the same stuff they give you in the hospital if you have a APAP OD. You can find both in the herbal section of a pharmacy, store, etc..
yes tylenol is hard on the liver. sounds like you may be taking darveset ,a combination of tylenol and propoxyphene. "pro" is available by its own name. still I think it's a narc. but has no ill effects on the liver.ask your DR. also add to your diet a liver supplement ,the liver is a hearty organ, with help it can 'repair itsself ..i am in a similar situation ,what i have related to you comes from my Dr's and drug-est
I injured my neck and back while in the military and I have been having to take meds for years. I started going to the chiropractor and it really helps. Some people say well you have to keep going back but you also must go back to the Dr for meds. The frequency of my visits has decreased and I feel much better than when on medication. I think I have just developed a tolerance to the meds and when I have problems it seems that I just have to constantly take them.
However milk thistle is a good supplement to take. I hope you feel better:)
It really depends on how much you are taking and how many time a day.A low dose is not that harmful but a high dose taken frequently through out the day can be very hard on the liver. TAlk to your doctor about going on pain meds that don;t have tylenol in them.Good luck and hope your free soon.
THERE IS SUCH A THING AS CODEINE SULFATE IT HAS NO TYLENOL
It can cause a lot of problems after prolonged use later down the road as well, like IBS and Chrones Disease.
Yes, its hurts the liver,,I have been taking a narcotic for a year and ahalf, My ALT liver test was 416 and the normal is under 30! I would take just the oxycodone, its like percocet without the tylenol! Good luck, and be careful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net