twitter




Saturday, October 31, 2009

Just out of scaphoid cast.. is this pain normal?

I broke my scaphoid bone in March and have 5 days ago been let out of my cast after 8 weeks because the bone has 'healed'. The wrist is understandably very stiff - but in addition to this I have an acute sharp pain when moving my hand in the direction of my thumb (if that makes sense..?) or if I try to lift slightly heavy stuff (eg, the cat). It's almost scream out loud painful.The wrist also swelled up and bruised the day after the cast came off, although I think this has pretty much disappeared now.Is this all normal after a break? I've never done anything like this before!
Answer:
Yes it is normal. 90% of my hand patients continue to have pain even after coming out of a cast. Healing the entire hand is a long process and takes longer than just the bone fracture to heal. You most likely had some ligament damage as well the fracture, whch could be causing the pain. The doctor should have done another x-ray when they took the cast off and would have been able to tell then if there was another fracture there. My advice would be to call the doctor's office and talk to his nurse and just let them know you are still having some pain.Hope this helps!
No it's not normal, but not entirely uncommon. My husband just got a disability discharge from the navy because of this same problem, he could no longer do push ups and the orthopedic surgeon determined it was not repairable. I would go back to the Dr. for more xray's and other tests, they may be able to surgically repair it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net